Norfolk Southern Information Technology
Position: Technical Documenter
Norfolk Southern Corporation is seeking resumes for a Technical Documenter to assume responsibility for coordinating all aspects of documentation for the Distributed Systems group of the Information Technology department at Norfolk Southern.
: 4-yr College Degree preferably in Technical/Professional Communication, English, Journalism, Business Administration, Information Systems, Computer Science, Engineering, or related field.
- Extensive experience using Word, Excel, Visio, SharePoint (admin), PowerPoint, and other Microsoft Office Suite products and Acrobat PDF Writer
- Experience with HTML and HTML editors
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, especially with subject matter experts
- Strong teamwork and customer support focus
- Ability to analyze, interpret, and simplify technical information to clearly communicate this information to target audiences
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience working with IT Infrastructure technical teams
- Experience with SharePoint or other Document Management System (including version control and collaboration features)
- Experience creating Workflow diagrams
- Understanding of Web Forms Design/Development and any web page design
- Understanding of Servers, Databases, Security, and Networks and related terminology
- Understanding of Sarbanes-Oxley
- 4 years of Technical Writing in a corporate environment
- Write clear and concise standards & policies documents (SOPs)
- Create standard troubleshooting, maintenance, and configuration documents
- Create technical diagrams (server environments, relationship diagrams, workflows, etc.)
- Create users documentation for a variety of materials, including How-To guides and manuals
- Meet with customers and vendors to establish technical specifications
- Ensure technical verbiage is easy to understand by others non-technical personnel
- Edit and proofread for content, grammar, and spelling
- Review published documents and recommend changes in scope, format, and content.
- Maintain all technical documents in terms of repository, archiving and indexing
The successful candidate will work with the Distributed Systems teams within Norfolk Southern’s Information Technology Department. Note that individuals selected for an interview should provide, in advance, several applicable samples of their professional technical writing work to the interview which are similar to those mentioned above.
This position is in our midtown Atlanta office building. This is a contract position opportunity which requires an e-RailSafe badge. During the contract period, the contractor is expected to supply his/her own cell phone for work related calls and text pages.